Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Giving Tuesday~~the First Place to Give


Thanksgiving is tomorrow. A day when we consider what we are grateful for, and maybe even why.  And that's good, but it doesn't go far enough.

We often give lip service to being grateful for our family, but do we think about what life would be like without them?  The greatest challenge for me on the mission field is being separated from family. I am one of the fortunate missionaries who live close enough to come to the States regularly to check in on family, but I still miss out on a lot.

You see, life moves on without us when we are away, and try as we might, it's hard to keep up.  Grandchildren grow and change, our children become adults who at times seem like strangers to us.  We come back to our "first family" and discover that they have restructured their lives without us.  And that's necessary.  Even good.  But it's also hard.

For the first time in eight Thanksgivings I will be eating dinner with my children and grandchildren tomorrow.  And it makes me a little teary thinking about the Thanksgivings, Christmas and birthdays I have missed. This doesn't even begin to address the hundreds (literally) of soccer games and school events that I have not been part of.  And I fear that sometimes the family thinks I care more about my "job" (I know, it's ministry, but to them it takes the place of a job in my life) than I care about them.

Not true.  Not even a little bit.  I do care about being obedient to where I believe God has called me and to what I believe He has called me to do.  I believe leaving them this legacy of obedience to God is more valuable than any event or activity I might miss.  But would I love it if I could magically transport all of them to live in Guatemala with me.  Absolutely!

You're probably wondering what all this has to do with #Giving Tuesday.  Well, I think it does.  Often this time of year we rush around making purchases and doing things with think are important to "make memories" for our families, and miss the most important memory: time spent together.

So, even if you get caught up in the Black Friday and Cyber Monday hysteria, step back and take time with your family and loved ones. Bake cookies, make ornaments, or watch a movie together and actually talk about it. Your presents under the Christmas tree will please them, but your presence in their lives will change them.

This year on Thanksgiving weekend, make a plan to give YOURSELF to those who love and need you the most, and be thankful for your family in action as well as in words.

My "first family" together in Omaha (my son Jon is in California and not pictured)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving together.  We will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment