Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2019

What's New at New Life




After many years of working directly with students my role at New Life continues to evolve. One of my main tasks, now that Judy Kerschner is directing the ministry from the US, is to serve as go-fer for the school.  With so many needs there is always something to pick up.

Cesar, one of our companion-caregivers
helping me unload school supplies.

This year I am filling in for the principal who is doing a practicum to complete her university studies.  While I don't deal with any of the government or legal requirements for the school, I am available to help teachers with discipline and curriculum issues.  It requires me to be at the school daily, which is "cramping my style" a bit, and reminding me that I am over retirement age!  I love the kids, and I love the teachers, though, so it's worth it.  And she finishes in April!


I continue to work on teacher training.  This year our focus is on helping the teachers continue to improve their methods of discipline and to use evaluations to help them know what a child has learned and what he/she needs to learn next.  The best part of this teacher training is seeing the staff at the school take more responsibility for training their peers as they develop their own skills through further education.

Manuel, our 5th grade teacher, and Sandra, our psychologist,
training our teachers on Zone of Regulation,
to help students better manage their emotions.

We also have implemented an Intervention Team to evaluate and assist students who are not making the progress we would like to see.  This team includes our psychologist, Sandra, our Occupational Therapy intern, Sarahi, and myself.  Megan Lewis, who started GOT ministries and is a licensed OT in Kansas, even joins us by Skype when she is available.  You've gotta love technology.

Our accommodations are not only for our students.
Here, Sandra and Nisza translate what is going on in training
into Guatemalan Sign Language for Paquita, our teacher who is deaf.

Meeting monthly we hope to improve the instruction and educational experiences for all students at New Life, by focusing on their abilities as well as accommodating their disabilities.  While it's a challenge, it's exciting, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment